At one point in your life, you will own a small room. Whether it is your living room or bedroom, decorating that small room can be difficult. You want to make sure the room looks full without cluttering the space. How do you maximize a room’s function without compromising on its design? We have five tips to help answer that question for you.
How to Decorate a Small Room:
- Avoid Patterns. Believe it or not, patterns can make a small room look smaller. Expert designers say that too many patterns in a room can make the room look chaotic and even overwhelming. Adding a pattern here or there is totally fine, but do not overwhelm the room with various patterns. The fewer patterns that you use in the design, the better off you will be.
- Skip White Furniture. Designers recommend staying away from the color white in small rooms. They say that white can actually make the room look smaller than it really is. Instead of using white furniture, try incorporating sleek, dark pieces of furniture in your space.
- Incorporate Soft Hues. Soft hues will help reflect natural light from your windows. If you love pastels, you can use pastel colors for soft, fresh fabric colors. Be sure to surround your windows with soft hues on your curtains.
- Add Stylish Storage. If your room does not have storage, you can add stylish baskets and bins to the room’s decor. The bins and baskets can be both a decorative and storage piece. You can keep things hidden inside of your baskets while adding the appropriate amount of storage.
- Always Accessorize. You want to be sure that you decorate with small accessories and items. The smaller the items, the bigger your room looks. Also, be sure to only include a few decor pieces. One of the decor pieces should definitely be a mirror. Mirrors can help open up the space and reflect your soft hues and natural light. Be sure to limit yourself to three to five decorations on a surface in a small room.
Lastly, dark floors can help distract from a room’s small proportions. Take a look at our online catalog to view the various types of dark floors that we offer. From hardwood to tile, we have flooring that will meet all of your needs!