As dark and sinister as it sounds black mold conjures up fear in the hearts of every homeowner. It’s toxic and can really damage the structure of your home. However, knowing how to identify black mold, removing it and preventing it from growing can help you keep this harmful substance out of your home.
What is Black Mold?
Black mold is the name given to Stachybotrys chartarum. Stachybotrys produces toxins known as mycotoxins. We’ve heard of gray and green mold, black mold is infamous because of its severe toxicity. It can easily grow in houses and it’s extremely harmful to humans.
Black mold will usually appear in warm, humid and damp areas of the home like the basement, attic and crawl spaces. Spaces that have leaks or are most susceptible to be exposed to moisture you can expect black mold to develop.
Identifying Black Mold
Black mold is usually identified by it color. However, there are several toxic mold types that could resemble black mold. The only way to tell if it’s actually black mold is it to determine whether it contains Stachybotrys. You’ll need to contract the help of a mold expert so that they can test the sample.
What Can Black Mold Do to My Health?
Black mold can cause serious damage to your health. In extreme cases, black mold has contributed to the death of individuals. Yes, black mold can cause allergic reactions and health complications such as:
– Chronic fatigue
– Respiratory issues
– Eye Irritation
The resulting health complications can go on and on.
How can you protect yourself against the health risks associated with black mold? Your best bet is to try and prevent and control mold growth in your home. If you plan on attempting to treat black mold yourself make sure you wear gloves and a mask to protect yourself. Be sure to cover your arms and legs so as to prevent a possible allergic reaction.
Since black mold is harmful to one’s health. It’s essential to understand how to prevent it from growing and how to eradicate the toxic substance from your home.
Leave a Reply