Black mold can be a major problem for homeowners. If you’ve discovered black mold growing in your home than it’s important to tackle the issue immediately. Black mold contains Stachybotrys which can be harmful to the health of your family. So how can you protect the health of your family as well as the value of your home? We’re going to show you how you can treat a minor black mold problem.
Tips for Removing Black Mold
Removing black mold isn’t an easy task. In fact, it’s a step by step process that requires lots of patience and an investment in protective gear and products. If you’ve decided to tackle the task yourself, you’ll also need to muster up some courage because this toxic substance can look a bit scary.
Usually, you’ll find black mold growing in warm and damp areas of the home. This can be the basement, attic and crawl spaces. However, the location of the fungus will vary by home. When you discover the source of the toxic substance you need to first remove the source of moisture. Removing the source of moisture is critical because you want to prevent it from growing back again. So, if you don’t patch the leaks or areas of condensation aren’t repaired than you likely won’t solve the issue for the long haul.
When removing black mold from an area make sure you a wear mask that is made specifically for black mold protection. You’ll also need to cover your arms, legs and hand when touching this fungus so you don’t get sick from getting in contact with it.
Start off, by using a good ole soap and water mixture to remove any visible fungus. However, if the area is dry than you can simply spray a bit of water on the area to reduce airborne mold spores. Use a highly rated commercial black mold cleaner to attack the area which you can find in most hardware stores. After cleaning the mold up with a commercial cleaner you can quickly go over the area with bleach.
After you’re done you should throw your cleaning and the spoiled sponges into a trash bag. Make sure you dispose of the bag at the nearest exit to avoid disturbing mold spores.