Close your eyes and imagine a bedroom that only has one color in it. You can even imagine a wild color like yellow. Now, open your eyes. That room probably looks a little crazy, right? Bear with us, but we actually want to encourage you to try using just one color throughout your entire room.
Recently, incorporating a monochromatic color scheme has become a popular trend for many homeowners. Using just one color throughout your space can make it look clean and trendy. Let us dive deeper into what exactly we mean by a monochromatic color scheme:
What is a Monochromatic Color Scheme? Monochromatic means solely the use of one color. In a monochromatic color scheme, homeowners use different variations of the same color by switching up its tone.
Why use a Monochromatic Color Scheme? As ironic as it may sound, using a monochromatic color scheme is actually very original. Homeowners seldom use a monochromatic color scheme, because it is a bold option. Plus, it will take a lot of planning and effort. If done correctly, your monochromatic color scheme can create clean lines and sophistication.
Tips for a Successful Monochromatic Color Scheme:
- It Does Not Have to Be Perfect. The most difficult part of a monochromatic color scheme is trying to match up the correct shade. You could spend hours, even days, trying to get the exact shade and coming up short. Instead of trying to make it all perfectly match, design experts recommend staying within the color family. This will help ease your mind and still create a beautiful room at the end.
- Accessorize. Your room’s decor can be another opportunity to incorporate the color you have chosen. If you have chosen the color blue, be sure that you find a good selection of decor pieces in different shades of blue.
- Compliment with Neutrals. If you feel like your room looks too intense with all one color, you can begin to add in subtle neutrals. The neutrals will help to keep the balance in the room without taking away from your specific color scheme.
- Not Just Solids. Instead of only using solids, be sure to incorporate patterns into your design. Your bed’s comforter could be a pattern that uses your selected color throughout it. Also, you can try adding fun textures throughout your space to add more interest and contrast.
- Keep it Light. You want to make sure that your windows are not too bulky or heavily covered. Instead, be sure to keep your window’s drapery light and soft. Softer colors will help allow the natural light to flow throughout the space which will ultimately make your color scheme look better.
Let us know what you think in the comment section below!