Spring is not the only time for a deep-cleaning. Take on your laundry room this winter with our 5-step cleaning guide!
Cleaning Your Laundry Room 101:
- Deep Clean Your Appliances.
Your washer and dryer take in a lot of dirt over the year. With grim and dirt, it is important to deep-clean your appliances annually to maintain good health and proper hygiene.
How to Clean Your Washing Machine:
- Remove everything from your washing machine.
- Pour two cups of vinegar in place of your detergent.
- Let the washing machine run on a hot water cycle.
- After the cycle has finished, take 1/4 cup of vinegar mixed with one quart of warm water in a large bucket. Dip a cloth rag or sponge inside of your mixture and begin cleaning the interior and exterior of your machine.
- Once your washing machine has been wiped down, you can run one more hot water cycle. This time you will not add detergent or vinegar. Just let the hot water cycle run by itself.
How to Clean Your Dryer:
- Wipe down the exterior of the dryer with your 1/4 vinegar and quart of warm water mixture that you used on the washing machine.
- Take a vacuum and get rid of dust behind the dryer.
- Remove extra lint from the lint trap by cleaning it out with a vacuum brush.
- Scrub Your Counters + Cabinets.
Be sure to give your countertops and cabinets a good scrubbing at least once a month. In a large bucket, mix together equal parts water and vinegar. Add few drops of your favorite citrus essential oil for a refreshing scent. Then take a rag or sponge and white down the inside and outside of each of your cabinets. If your countertops need more than just good wiping, take a scrubbing brush and scrub their tops until the grim is gone.
- Wipe Laundry Baskets/Bin.
If you think about all of the dirt your laundry basket accumulates during the year, it is shocking that we do not clean them more often. If you have plastic bins, wipe down the inside of the bins with your vinegar and water mixture. If you have fabric baskets, take the fabric lining out and place it inside of washing machine for a wash cycle.
- Dust, Sweep, Mop.
While your countertops, cabinets, and laundry bins are drying, you can dust, sweep and mop the entire space. The vinegar and water mixture is safe for tile flooring. But be sure to check your manufacturer’s website before putting any chemical products on the flooring.
- Replenish Your Laundry Room Essentials.
Now is a great time to replenish your detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets, etc. Make sure everything is full and ready for use!
We hope you enjoyed these tips! Let us know what you think in the comment section. We look forward to hearing from you.