In this two-part series, we will review the simple, daily ways you can ensure a long life for your wood floor. While major maintenance considerations are important, they aren’t practical for guarding against damage as part of your normal course of life. These are tips that even the busiest person can keep in mind on a regular basis. In this post, we will cover outside influences and simple cleanup. In part 2 we will cover how to properly set things on your floor and how/when to move them around.
FROM THE OUTSIDE IN
- Select window treatments that effectively block UV rays. Even though wood floors will naturally change shades and colors over time due to sun exposure, it is a good idea to have the option to regulate this process.
- Think of mats and small rugs as trusted guards who protect your floor. When used at entryways they are called “walk off mats.” They collect grime including sand, dirt, and sharp particles that can be found on the bottom of shoes. These particles are highly abrasive and will do slow but steady damage to the floor. Be sure to buy a mat specifically made for wood floors so that the backing doesn’t do any damage.
- Cooperate with the climate where you live. Wood floors respond best to consistent humidity levels. This helps avoid contraction and expansion of the wood. All air regulation systems can help: humidifier, air conditioner, dehumidifier, or heater.
TIMELY AND GENTLE CLEANUP
- Don’t save money on a cheap broom then pay for it later when you have to refinish the floor. Buy one that’s high quality and dust and sweep your floors as often as possible.
- Don’t wait to clean up tiny messes, especially if they’re liquid. Take the necessary extra time to quickly blot the mess with a soft cloth.
- Be discerning about using a vacuum on your wood floor. Use one without a beater bar, and /or use the hardwood floor attachment that may have come with your vacuum. Remember to get in the crevices and between planks.
- For stains of gum or candle wax, try using a credit card.
With attention and diligence, you can be the world’s best wood floor owner and enjoy your investment for many years to come!