Your kitchen may be up-to-date, but are your cooking habits? There are so many food products on the market today that are healthful beyond belief! Gone are the days when TV dinners and highly processed junk were the option of choice. In the new millennium we are more mindful that ever of our nutritional needs.
Although consuming health food on their own is highly beneficial, if you can combine them you’ve got a truly powerful formula! This doesn’t necessarily require a master’s in food mixing either. If you use one base that has multiple uses you can mix benefits nearly all of the time. One of our favorites for the job is coconut oil. It’s unbelievably healthy and you can do so much with it. Here are some ideas for how to use it in the kitchen!
- Cooking at high heat – safer than some other cooking oils that become volatile at high temps.
- On toast to replace butter.
- In smoothies.
- To fry eggs – create non-stick surface.
- Popping popcorn & as a popcorn topping to replace butter. Heavy based pan, coat pot with the oil, add single layer of popcorn, push around with wood spoon to ensure all kernels are coated with oil, place pot on medium heat, place lid on top and leave it slightly for steam, cook for five minutes. Top with a light sprinkling of Himalayan crystal salt.
- Replace vegetable oil when baking. It’s healthier and tastes better.
- Make sweet potato chips. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, thinly slice sweet potatoes, place on baking sheet, and brush lightly with coconut oil. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until chips are lightly brown, salt to taste.
- For pan frying.
- To make grilled cheese, as a replacement for butter.
- Add to coffee or tea in the morning, added benefit of a big energy boost
- To make homemade granola.
- To make homemade salad dressing.