Spring is here, but not always the warm weather it seems to promise. While the weather may beckon us outdoors one day, the next may not be as welcoming! If you are stuck indoors during this time of year, don’t worry. There are great ways to eat well and stay healthy while you’re inside as well with a fresh salad that is a great addition to any meal. Whether you use it as a side to your larger family dinner or as a main course for two, this salad is sure to please.
During the cold or dreary days, you might think that hearty, warm, filling meals would be the best cure for your blues. But a salad is a great way to stay healthy during months you might not be staying as active as you’d like, and can be just as hearty and delicious as a heavier meal. Any leftovers can be easily saved and used for lunch the following day.
- Arugula (baby spinach or spring mix would also work)
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1-2 bunches of green onions (chopped)
- Goat cheese
- Sliced and then halved pears
- 1 medium red onion sliced to preference
- 1 medium sweet potato cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the arugula if necessary and then add to salad bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a cutting board, cube the sweet potato. Evenly distribute the cubes on a baking sheet and lightly drizzle olive oil over them. Mix them up until the olive oil is covering the cubes completely. Salt to your preferences.
- Once the oven has preheated, place the sweet potatoes in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, chop the green onions and red onions and set aside. Next, slice the pear length-wise and then proceed to halving those slices.
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon, dijon mustard and salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Assemble the salad. First add all of the green onions, red onions, pear slices, sweet potato cubes, walnuts and goat cheese to the arugula in the salad bowl.
- Finally add the dressing and mix thoroughly. Serve the salad immediately.